Saturday, March 27, 2010

What a week

Warning- there are no cute pictures in this post so if you only enjoy the pictures (like I am often guilty of) then scroll on down to older posts. This week was Spring Break, so Larry was skiing in Colorado with the church group which also included my mom and brother. I had considered going and taking Carson, but had some hesitation and ended up not being able to get off work even if I wanted to. I was scheduled to work Mon, Tues and Wed of this week and since my mom was gone and Mother's Day Out was closed, I had to find alternative childcare. In my mind, I kind of thought this would be a good week to start spring cleaning...boy was I wrong.

Saturday night, I had made lasagna for my grandparents (my grandmother recently had a heart attack and is still recovering) and my dad (who was about to start working the night shift for the nuclear plant outage going on). Carson had fallen asleep in his carseat on the way over, so I simply left him in it and set him in the guest room to nap while I cooked and we ate. He woke up shortly after we ate which I thought was perfect timing. When I went to get him, he had vomited ALL over himself and the carseat. Now mind you- we've had spit up before as he is a baby, but this was our first experience with real puke!! (He had turkey before went over!) Well, he was so confused and scared and you could tell he didn't feel very well.

Thankfully, my dad was there and he graciously cleaned up the carseat while I took care of cleaning up Carson. He then proceeds to "you know what" (sorry just realized this may be a little too graphic for some...nothing gets my stomach...guess its part of being in the medical profession) two more times and is just pitiful looking at this point and just wants me to hold him. While he is laying there moaning, in the most sweet yet sad I-don't-feel-good voice say, "Momma" Oh, how my heart just melted into a complete puddle!!! Now, I feel pretty sure he probably didn't really know what he was saying but I'm going to let myself think he did because it was just too sweet.

I'm going to go ahead and make a LONG story as short as possible...the synopsis of the week is as follows: overall, he cut TWO teeth (the bottom middle)
Sunday: stay home all day, diarrhea, fever, no appetite and just wanting to be held
Monday: seemed to be a little better in morning, so I went to work and he stayed with my mother in law...fever, not eating, no nap, cranky, NO sleep
Tuesday: finally got the sense to check his ears and called in antibiotic for bilateral ear infection...missed work to stay home..still fever, more vomit and starting to get a little dehydrated because he still has no appetite...had to give tylenol suppository to keep fever down as he won't even take his medicine now.
Wednesday: woke up with no true fever and seemed a bit better so I went to work...mother in law kept him again and things seemed a LITTLE better.
Thursday: finally starting to play with toys again, nurse but not eat still, no fever, and better sleep.
Friday: yay- daddy's home and he is finally starting to resemble my sweet little Carson again.
However, he still will not eat his food! He went from trying and liking anything I put on a spoon to keeping that mouth as tightly closed as he can!

So, let's just say spring break 2010 was not exactly what I thought it would be like. I am just SO thankful we were not in Colorado and that I was able to have sweet help from my mother in law and dear friends! And that my sweet baby is starting to feel better!! I can only hope that as we cut more teeth, we don't go through all this again!

1 comment:

  1. What a tough week!! I'm glad he is feeling better...though. It just breaks your heart when little ones are sick and they just don't understand what is going on. Hopefully, it is all over now. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie First Birthday tickers